According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one-third of Americans over the age of 20 have Metabolic Syndrome. That’s a huge number, and it’s becoming more and more prevalent. But what is it?
Metabolic Syndrome is a group of medical disorders that, when taken together, increase the risk of developing chronic illnesses like cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes and cancer. In 1988, researchers coined the term “Syndrome X” to describe this grouping of symptoms that are centered on insulin resistance, which often leads to type 2 diabetes. Syndrome X is now also referred to as Metabolic Syndrome.
This condition is characterized by three or more of the following factors:
- Large waistline and high body fat percentage (Men: waist 40 inches or more, body fat 29% or more. Women: waist 35 inches or more, body fat 37% or more)
- High triglycerides (equal to or greater than 150 mg/dL)
- Low HDL (good) cholesterol (Men: fewer than 40 mg/dL. Women: fewer than 50 mg/dL)
- High blood pressure (Equal to or greater than 130/85mmHg)
- High fasting blood sugar (Equal to or greater than 100 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1C greater than 5.5)
The rise in obesity is the main culprit behind Metabolic Syndrome. Consider these statistics from the CDC:
- 68% of American adults are overweight
- 36% of American adults are obese
- 32% of American children and adolescents, ages 2 to 19, are overweight
- 17% of American children and adolescents, ages 2 to 19, are obese
- Since 1980, obesity among children and adolescents has almost tripled
Natural Healthcare Center is working to reverse these trends with our new Metabolic Training Program.
Developed by our clinical nutritionist, Dr. Oscar Coetzee, Ph.D., this program integrates fitness, nutrition and education to help you prevent, reduce or even reverse the factors that cause Metabolic Syndrome. Metabolic training uses evidence-based protocols to deliver increased cardiovascular capacity, an improved hormonal profile and serious calories burn.
The results we’ve already seen have been tremendous. In a study of 73 people on our program, triglycerides were reduced by 39%, LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) was reduced by 23%, and average weight loss was 25.5 pounds. Participants also displayed better blood chemistry and much improved body composition (muscle to fat ratio).
Our Metabolic Training Program includes three key components.
- Metabolic exercise (high-intensity interval training) in small groups led by Dr. Coetzee three times per week.
- Individual consultations each month with Dr. Coetzee to set goals, assess your nutritional and exercise protocols, and track your progress.
- Group educational seminars each month with Dr. Coetzee that cover current health-related topics and separate the myths from the facts.
It takes years to develop chronic conditions, so a quick fix is impossible. This is a six-month program that helps you develop lifelong practices for achieving and maintaining weight loss and optimal health. There is no pill or magic bullet for Metabolic Syndrome, but you’ll be amazed at how quickly the body responds to good nutrition and the right exercise protocols.
This is the year of the family. This is the year to make permanent lifestyle changes that help you and your loved ones feel better, function better and live longer. Our Metabolic Training Program helps you take back your health now and provides you with the knowledge you need to maintain good health for as long as possible.
Contact Natural Healthcare Center for more information about our Metabolic Training Program.
Dr. James Proodian is an accomplished chiropractic physician and health educator who founded Proodian Healthcare Family of Companies to help people feel better, function better, and live longer. His expertise for the past two decades has been in physical rehabilitation, and he has successfully established himself as a spinal specialist. In his practice, he advocates the science of functional medicine, which takes an integrative approach to treating patients by addressing their physical, nutritional, and psychological needs. Alarmed by the escalation of complex, chronic illness in our country, Dr. Proodian has been speaking to companies and organizations through his “Wellness at Work” program since 1994, motivating thousands of people to make positive lifestyle choices and lead healthier, more productive lives. He can be heard weekly on his radio program, “Proodian Healthcare By Design,” on Tandem Radio.